Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Minor surgery turns major - part 2

At the hospital I was sent to the Vascular Clinic. And it is here I met a great team of nurses, ultrasound techs and doctor who would diagnosis and start my treatment.

What is a blood clot?  A Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot that has formed in a deep vein. They more commonly occur in leg veins and when they do they originate in the calf. The blood stops flowing properly and begins to pool together thus creating the "clot".

What causes DVT's?  Risks of forming a DVT include prolonged sitting, bed rest or immobilization, recent surgery or trauma, fractures, childbirth within past 6months and the use of medications like estrogen or birth control pills. The doctor who treated me said that 1 out of 5 knee surgery patients will develop blood clots.  Crazy!

How do we treat a DVT or in my case 3 DVT's?  Treatment usually lasts 3-6months and the factors surrounding timing have a wide range. I was given an immediate dose of Lovenox - which is administered by injection and of which I have been giving myself daily since being diagnosed. And orally by mouth the drug Coumadin. The Coumadin will be my main form of medication once my blood thinness level reaches a INR of 2.0 - 3.0. The Coumadin takes about a week to get to peak level in your blood and "thin" it. So they combine the treatment in the beginning with the drug Lovenox.  Most everyone has a blood "thinness" of 1.0 or lower. But when you have a blood clot you need your blood to become considerably "thinner" to help break up and disperse the blood clots & get the blood flowing in the affected veins. And the BEST part is my new sock that I have to wear from the moment my foot hits the floor in the morning till bed......a medical compression sock.

What does this mean for me?  Until my INR blood levels get up to 2.0+ I will be giving myself the injections and oral amt of Coumadin. They will monitor me by taking my blood when I visit the Anticoagulation Clinic. I will be visiting this clinic daily till my levels get stable and stay stable. After they are stable I can visit 1x a week until my treatment is over. My levels reached a 2 today and I have to go in tomorrow for another blood draw. I am hoping to drop down my visits this week and not have to go every day.   I also have to have an ultrasound every week of my calf until the blood clots are gone and have not moved.

A few warnings come along with the meds & condition:

- bruise more easily (yep, I have bruises from each injection on my stomach & each blood draw)
- bleed for longer when cut
- no dental work while being treated (risk of bleeding gums)
- no aspirin or aleve products
- no over the counter meds and most antibiotics
- you have a lower immune system - we'll see how this goes with 3 little kids in our house
- cannot high amounts of foods with Vit K (think dark green veggies, blueberries, pumpkin)
- should not drink alcohol or limit it (great there goes Thanksgiving!)

 Once I am stable & clots are gone we will have to figure out what a new normal is for me. I am thankful that I listened to my gut and called the doctor. I am thankful for the care I am receiving and that it is treatable. And even though I know it's silly I have found myself asking "Why?" So for now I am trying to trust in the Lord and recognize that He has a bigger plan for all of this.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! I remember hearing about the shots and the Coumadin the first time my dad went through this! I will be praying a steady recovery for you. And I don't think it's silly to ask, "Why?" Especially when you are a busy mom and it's such an inconvenience! But I do trust that God has a bigger plan. He always does! May He hold you close to His heart today.

    ReplyDelete